You don’t realise how good the shopping is in Glasgow till you spend a day trekking its streets, if, you have come from anywhere outside of London, you will love what Glasgow has to offer, more shops than anywhere and loads of good streetwear stores, well 3, but still good.
I have decided to list my top 11 shops, the ones I’d visit when out shopping, mention my competition i hear you say, yes, I do say, the more people who realise Glasgow is the No1 shopping destination the better.
1. TK Maxx on Sauchiehall St (top end) is where you’ll find bargains if your lucky, if not you’ll find nothing of interest, I got a great pair of Brown Leather Air Max for £25 18 months ago, only now starting to fall apart, but the comfiest shoes ever. Also got a great case for when I’m on my travels, snazzy ‘lil thing for much cheapness.
2. Next on Bath street is the urban legend that is Fat Buddha, Vinyl Toys, Graffiti Supplies, Lifestyle and Clothing by brands like Carhartt, The Hundreds, Kikstyo, Recon, Penfield, Zoo York, Volcom, Nike, Dc’s, Reebok. Voted best shop in Glasgow by an independent panel of my family, but worth the visit, just to see the shop dog Maisie.
3. Goodlife is across the road from Fat Buddha and is uber-expensive but it is Glasgow’s only High end Streetwear Boutique after all, selling Original Fake & Alife, good mix of brands in such a small place, but the store has its following, coming from a far for its brand mix.
Not sure the exact story, but it looks like Goodlife has closed its doors.
4 On Buchanan st you’ll find this corporate whore that is Urban Outfitters, in sale time there are great bargains to be had, real mix of brands in here, and some of the home-wares are not to be sniffed at, worth a visit.
If you are American or visited one of these stores in America you will be surprised how poor the British version is compared to the American, different brand mix, terrible staff and no atmosphere.
5. Further down Buchanan st you will find Hugo Boss, I love this store, for years now i still like to visit it, great layout and some good product, wonderful suits and boy do they fit like they should. Glasgow’s first real designer name on Buchanan St, go visit.
I almost got the managers job in here many many moons ago, but it wasn’t to be, lovely shop still.
6. Just round the corner you’ll find Aspecto, this lads store, only place for Stussy, and good for Adidas, Carhartt, North Face & Camper, Y3, Evisu and the like. Great shopfit, looked great at the time, so worth a visit.
7. You want trainers, where else to go than Size on Union Street, big store with good range of apparel, the best store in Glasgow for footwear, unless the shoes are rare, then the staff get first shout on them. This is the place for footwear, the 2 Chris’s always have a smile for you.
8. Always a sucker for Department stores, and House of Frasers always hits the spot, the cookware dept rocks, Menswear has now relocated to the first floor and a ton of money was spent on it, now it is the BEST mens clothing area in Glasgow by a mile, the Paul Smith section is lovely and again the Paul Smith section is lovely, great wallets and saving up for the scarf just now. Frasers is worth an hour or so of your time, its just of Argyle St.
9. Footlocker, just at Argyle St is where your Jordan craving will be satisfied, good selection of nikes, esp Air Stabs, good range of clothing and a separate woman’s floor make this a destination not to be missed. Footlocker is always a must visit place for sneakerheads.
10. Focus are on Argyle St and Glasgows sole Nike SB stockist, other brands include Diamond, Supra, Krew, Cliche. Skateboards are Focus’s forte and they serve the Glasgow market well, they have a good reputation now and visit it just for an Obey t/shirt. Good staff and a friendly ambiene make this a worthy addition to my list.
11. Lastly you’ll walk round the corner from Focus and find Cruise on Ingram St, a legend in Glasgow and still doing what it does best, feeding brands to the masses, CP Company, Stone Island, Y3, BBC make a visit essential. Lovely Shopfit as well, grab a Paul Smith wallet while your there.
So that wraps up Glasgow for shopping, the best 11 shops, there are hundreds more not on the list, you have St Enoch Shopping Ctr, Buchanan Galleries Shopping Ctr in town, stretch further afield and you’ll hit Braehead Shopping Ctr and Silverburn Shopping Ctr.
The more you leave Glasgow, the more you appreciate it, so come eat, shop and be merry.
Updated on April 2010